So, without further ado, my first Beautiful People:
1. How often do they smile? Would they smile at a stranger?
Denise does not smile very much. Justus is probably the only person in her life who can make her smile. It’s not so much that Denise is never happy… she just doesn’t express her happiness in smiles. She holds her happiness inside her, I suppose. She wouldn’t make eye contact with a stranger, much less smile at them.
2. What is the cruelest thing they’ve ever been told? And what was their reaction?
Hmmm… Denise has had to deal with some cruel revelations in her time.
A “friend” had to break the news to her that she was going to be forced to marry and produce the heir of an elite Nomad leader – who also happens to be the boy she fell in love with, but she doesn’t know that. And honestly, it might not make that much of a difference, because it doesn’t matter who when you’re being forced, right? Her initial reaction is to be terrified, but outwardly she is detached.
Derk admitted to her that he was kind of using her as a pawn, so that was pretty cruel. She was more verbal than usual here. She screams at him some, but calms down pretty quickly.
3. What is the kindest thing they’ve ever been told? And what was their reaction?
That Justus is in love with her. She takes it in stride. She kind of already knew, so it wasn’t much of a surprise. Still, when someone makes a declaration it becomes more real and you have to deal with it, so Denise did deal with some shock. She was pained by what he said, but Denise is good at concealing her emotions. Too good.
4. What is one strong memory that has stuck with your character from childhood? Why is it so powerful and lasting?
This is a great question! I haven’t come up with a “first memory” for Denise yet, but she has some vague, blurry memories of her life before coming to The Empire. I should probably give her a real “first memory.”
5. What book (a real actual published book!) do you think your character would benefit from reading?
Um, any book? Denise can’t read, so… she would probably love to read just about anything. I guess if I had to pick just one I’d say the Bible?
6. Have they ever been seriously injured? How severely? How did they react?
Derk sprained her ankle, but he told Denise he was going to before he did it, so she was prepared at least. She also believed it was for a good cause. She deals with pain remarkably well. When he did this, she gasped at the pain but did not scream or cry. Come to think of it, Denise rarely screams or cries.
7. Do they like and get along with their neighbours?
I don’t know if this question is meant literally or not. Denise doesn’t have any neighbors. If we’re just referring to the people around her, then she gets along with them fine but does not particularly like any of them.
8. On a scale from 1 to 10 (1 being easy and 10 being difficult) how easy are they to get along with?
Well… she’s extremely easy to get along with in some respects. She doesn’t bother anyone, or talk to them at all. But she’s next to impossible to get to know, so in that way, she’s hard to get along with. She doesn’t let people in.
9. If they could travel anywhere in the world, where would they go?
Anywhere that isn’t permanently dark.
10. Who was the last person they held hands with?
Wow, this is a bit of a problem. I don’t think Denise has ever held hands with anyone. I will have to remedy this…
So there you have it? Do you have any questions about Denise? Do you have any characters who bottle their emotions? Who are calculated and cold?